Sunday 4 March 2012

Bacardi Legacy 2012 Finalist...Dan Bovey

In the first part of our series on the three finalists of this year's Bacardi Legacy UK Finals, we welcome Dan Bovey, GM of Reading bar 'Sahara'.  We've actually been chatting to Dan since before he placed in the top 3 of 2012 (each of them has one year to promote their drink before the ultimate winner is announced at the 2013 finals).

Back in November last year, we asked Dan to give us an intro about himself, his drink and his hopes for the competition:

"My name is Dan and I manage a bar in Reading called Sahara.  I have been bartending for around 7 years.  This year is the second time I have made it into the Bacardi Legacy final and I think it has given me a fantastic opportunity to give the judges exactly what they want.  The idea for the competition is to create a classic cocktail that will have the same kind of staying power as the Daiquiri, Mojito and Cuba Libre.  I feel I have done this with my drink as it contains classic ingredients that have been around for a very long time; I imagine the classic bartenders in London like Ada Coleman or Harry Craddock would have used similar flavours in their drinks and that is why I settled on these.  It is also well-balanced and easily replicable, so could be made anywhere in the world.

I really hope the El Momento Perfecto goes down well this year as it's a fantastic competition to be involved in and a great chance to make a cocktail for my heroes, as well as get my name out there and further my career in the bar industry."

D-Day came on the 9th February as Dan and the six other finalists presented their drinks to the guest judges which included Ago Perrone (last year’s international winner) and mixology legends Audrey Saunders, Dale DeGroff and Peter Dorelli.  Along with Gordon Purnell from Edinburgh's Voodoo Rooms and Chris Moore from the Savoy Hotel in London, Dan came one step closer to the badge of Bacardi Legacy UK champion.  Follow his journey on the El Momento Perfecto Facebook page.

El Momento Perfecto

45ml Bacardi Superior
25ml Lillet Blanc
20ml Byrrh
10ml Campari
4 Dashes Orange Bitters
1 spoon Strong Marmalade

Stir over cubed ice, then strain into an old fashioned, garnished with a twist of lemon.

We tried this at last week's Corpse & Cocktail.  It's a fantastically-aromatic drink with heavy orange notes, with a sweetness that makes this very accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment